Second Street Improvement Project
The Second Street Improvement Project has completed a Supplemental Environmental Impact Report (SEIR), which will be considered for certification by the Planning Commission. Also, parking and traffic changes will be reviewed for approval by the SFMTA Board. The dates, times, and locations are as follows:
• Thursday, August 13, 2015, 12:00 P.M. - San Francisco Planning Commission, Room 400, City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
• Tuesday, August 18, 2015, 1:00 P.M. – SFMTA Board of Directors, Room 400, City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
The SEIR and Response to Comments can be found on the Planning Department’s website. SFMTA staff will post public notices along the Second Street corridor for the SFMTA Board meeting.
March 19, 2015
Time: Not before 12:00 PM (noon)
Location: City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 400
Case Type: Environmental (Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Report)
Hearing Body: Planning Commission
Written comments will be received from February 12, 2015 – March 30, 2015 and should be addressed to Sarah B. Jones, Environmental Review Officer, San Francisco Planning Department, 1650 Mission Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94103, or emailed to email@example.com. Comments received at the public hearing and in writing will be responded to in a Draft SEIR Responses to Comment (RTC) document. Visit San Francisco Planning's EIR page for more information.
The 2nd Street Improvement Project extends from Market Street to King Street, stretching from downtown San Francisco to the SOMA district. The community, through the recently adopted East SOMA Area Plan, identified 2nd Street as a primary pedestrian, bicycle and transit thoroughfare and a ‘green connector’ for the neighborhood. This project will work towards implementing that vision by transforming 2nd Street into a pleasant multi-modal corridor that improves safety and access for pedestrians, bicyclists and transit as well as drivers.
In accordance with the San Francisco Bicycle Plan, the project will provide space for bicycles along the entire length of 2nd Street, from King to Market Streets. Streetscape improvements may include special crosswalks and new infill street trees along the entire corridor, as well as a pedestrian refuge space at the South Park Avenue intersection and expansion of an existing pedestrian refuge at Harrison Street. The project also includes roadway resurfacing, concrete curb reconstruction, the installation of ADA-compliant curb-ramps, and upgrades to the traffic signal system.
- Community Presentation - Meeting Four - 5/23/2013
- Community Presentation - Meeting Three - 11/28/2012
- Community Presentation - Meeting Two - 10/20/2012
- Community Meeting Presentation
- Presentation Boards:
- Bike Lane Option: Cross Section and Typical Intersections; Plan View
- Center Turn Lane with Bike Lanes: Cross Section and Typical Intersections; Plan View
- One-Way Cycletracks: Cross Section and Typical Intersections; Plan View
- Two-Way Cycletrack: Cross Section and Typical Intersections; Plan View
- Brief comparison of the design concepts
- Survey used to collect feedback from Community meeting two.
- Community Presentation - Meeting One - 5/2/2012
Second Street between King and Market Streets
Construction begins: Mid-2015
Construction duration: 10-12months
Cristina C. Olea, PE
Department of Public Works
30 Van Ness Avenue, 5th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102-6099